Professional Services Projects:
About this Project
Fay, Spofford & Thorndike (FST) was engaged to assist with the site selection for the new elementary school, as well as design services. The process involved review of multiple location alternatives and ranking in accordance with the Department of Education Site Selection Guidelines. Upon completion of site selection, FST completed site design and permitting for a new school and offsite field facilities.
FST assisted the Town of Brunswick with this major 600 student school project that was completed in the fall of 2011. The project site is located on McKeen Street in Brunswick, Maine. The project included:
- A complicated stormwater management system consisting of subsurface chambers, proprietary treatment units and subsurface infiltration.
- A multi-purpose athletic field, large soft playground and outdoor hard play areas.
- Site design elements meeting USGBC LEED Sustainable Site Credits.
- Demolition of existing buildings and processing of demolition debris/material for re-use as granular fill.
- Design and construction of an off-site multi-purpose athletic field.
- Design and construction of five tennis courts at the Brunswick High School site.
Owner: Town of Brunswick (FST's Client: PDT Architects)
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Highlights: The building qualified for LEED for Schools 2.0 and met Efficiency Maine’s High Performance School Grant Program standards. It also employs green construction practices throughout.