- Bedford Pavement Management
- Route 3 Corridor Improvements
- Traffic Signal & Intersection Improvements at Route 105
- I-95 Safety Improvements
- Hopkinton Pavement Management
- Sagamore Rotary Grade Separation
- Central Artery/Tunnel
- Route 101 Traffic Calming
- I-495 Corridor Transportation Study
- Long Island Expressway Noise Barriers
NYSDOT Region 10, NY
- Railroad Lane Area Improvements
- New Castle Avenue
- Maple Street and Maple Avenue Roadway Improvements
- Nonantum Road Improvements
- Emergency Roadway Repairs
- Exit 15, I-295 US-1 Interchange, Park and Ride Facility
- Toll Plaza Upgrades
Bedford & Merrimack, NH
- Broad Street Parkway
- Martin A. Coughlin Bypass Road
East Boston/Chelsea, MA
About this Project
The Town of Tamworth hired FST to prepare a master plan and design of a pilot traffic-calming project on Route 16, a major north-south arterial. The Chocorua Village community is adjacent to Route 16, which carries approximately 7,600 vehicles per day including more than 5% trucks. While the Town has a population of only 2,500, its setting is a significant tourist destination particularly during the summer months with camping at the Chocorua Mountain area.
Tamworth was very concerned about the need to develop a pedestrian friendly environment with crosswalks while reducing travel speeds through the community without degrading truck access. The project area has several significant wetland resources, like Chocorua Dam that required protection and enhancements. Its local businesses, such as the Dam Ice Cream Shop below require road crossings, particularly during the peak summer months.
FST, in a collaborative effort with the Town, planned and designed enhanced sidewalks, pedestrian crossing areas, and nearby amenities including bio-retention facilities. We successfully provided technical assistance in obtaining a grant for the new bio-retention drainage system.
FST completed the design for the central area of this multi-phased project as well as construction phase services and Phase I is currently operational.
Owner: Town of Tamworth
Location: Tamworth, New Hampshire
Highlights: Master planning for the area included horizontal roadway shifts and other treatments to establish gateways to and from the sensitive Chocorua Village area.