Other Buildings/MEP Projects
About this Project
FST assisted the MWRA with the design and construction phase services for a nominal 100 kW photovoltaic (PV) system on the Residuals/Odor Control Building at the Deer Island Treatment Plant (DITP). The specific scope of services included:
- measurement of solar resources,
- survey of electrical distribution system for optimal interconnection point,
- description of options and alternatives for energy production metering,
- data acquisition,
- data integration with the DITP SCADA system,
- creation of web presence,
- evaluation of the roofs for structural integrity, and
- preparation of 20% design and performance specifications for complete turnkey installation of a grid-tied 100 kW PV system at DITP.
Construction phase services included bid evaluation, review of shop drawings and RFIs, site visits, testing and startup operation. FST subsequently evaluated a potential 455kW of additional PV power and brought its installation to completion.Photos courtesy of MWRA.
Client: Massachusetts Water Resources Authority
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Highlights: Treating an average of 360 million gallons of wastewater a day from 43 communities, DITP is one of the largest users of electricity in the Northeast. The facility utilizes all power generated from the PV system on-site, and MWRA plans to combine this system with other ongoing and new renewable energy programs at DITP to procure 30% of its energy needs from the production of on-site renewable power by 2020.