Other Land Development Projects
About this Project
Fay, Spofford & Thorndike (FST) (formerly DeLuca-Hoffman Associates, Inc.) was engaged by Thornton Academy to provide master planning, design, permitting, and construction monitoring services for an athletic facilities improvement and expansion project on their campus in Saco, Maine. The project included major renovation of the existing football stadium, reconstruction of tennis facilities, and construction of additional natural turf athletic fields to meet the growing demand of the school’s athletic department and intramural sports program. FST has provided civil engineering/ permitting services to Thornton Academy on multiple projects since the 1990s.
Major elements of the project included:
- Preparing and presenting several preliminary design alternatives to the school’s Board of Directors.
- Securing project permits, including local Site Plan Approval, modification to the campus’ existing MeDEP Site Location of Development Permit, and MeDEP/ACOE Natural Resources Protection Act Permit for wetland impacts.
- Replacing the natural turf athletic field at Hill Stadium with a state of the art, internally drained, synthetic turf surface.
- Synthetic turf field base and drainage design, including connection to existing campus drainage infrastructure.
- Reconstruction of the existing running track, including milling and overlaying the bituminous surface and applying a new Plexitrac poly-resin running track surface system.
- State of the art stadium lighting system.
- New discus, shot put, high jump, and pole vault facilities.
- Full reconstruction of four tennis courts, including application of a new Plexipave acrylic tennis surface system.
- New natural turf softball field.
- New natural turf multi-purpose field suitable for soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey.
- Modification and expansion of existing multi-purpose fields to remedy drainage problems.
- New 900 SF athletic storage, bathroom, and concession building.
Client: Thornton Academy
Location: Saco, Maine
Highlights: The project included major renovation of the existing football stadium, reconstruction of tennis facilities, and construction of additional natural turf athletic fields to meet the growing demand of the school’s athletic department and intramural sports program.